The Run Down

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Don't sweat the technique


I've also TAUGHT writing. I've mentioned this before that some people really don't respect the craft of writing. I mean people always try to fall back on that old tired...'well its my feelings and that's that..you can't 'critique' it.' Porkshit. The purpose of writing is to communicate the subject matter and if you ain't got skill and pizzaz then your stuff just comes off weak. It is an artform and there are various different ways to manifest it into a beautiful form.

And from talking to your 'roses are red, violets are blue' crowd most of them know NOTHING about writing. The only form they are familiar with is the haiku (no disrespect to the haiku) and they don't even know anything about modern innovations in terms of writing TECHNIQUE.

Think about it. Music has evolved through technology. Visual art has evolved through technology. You mean to tell me that there aren't new methods of WRITING technology emerging? Of course there are. Let me share with you one of my favorite technologies from one of my favorite to the left writers William S. Burroughs. He actually got it and refined it from Brion Gysin. It's called the cut up technique. Experiment with it. See what you come up with. And if you so desire share some of your experiments with the God.


No comments: